Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Today is January 1st, 2013 and I am thinking where did 2012 go?!!!  2012 was truly a very blessed year for us.  First and foremost it was a safe year for our family.  A few bumps along the way, but a very good year.  Highlight for Millie and I was the birth of Reagan Hope Gonsolis.  We are so happy for Nellie and Paul.  Reagan is such a joy to see on Skype.  Her chubby little cheeks and legs.  Grandchildren are such a blessing in our lives.  And now Rachel will be having number 3 in June.  I wonder how my grandparents felt when I was born?  Grandma and Grandpa Layman lived in Toppenish just a few blocks from 504 South Alder.  Grandma and Grandpa Vanderbeek lived in South Dakota probably but not sure.  It was goes without saying that I miss mom and dad.  But I have just a greater appreciation for my grandparents now that I am one.  While I was only 10 and 12 when my Layman grandparents passed away, I have unique remembrances of them.  First and foremost was Thanksgiving day dinner at their house.  All the Layman boys and their families came.  Grandma Layman made her special applesauce with red hots so it came out red.  I so looked forward to that.  Dog Race games(Chinese checkers).  Grandpa made the boards for everyone.  I wish I still had the one me made for us. 

Grandma and Grandpa Vanderbeek were so unique.  My Grandma Nellie was the consummate Grandma.  She was short probably 5 ft 2 inches and just as wide.  She was Irish by lineage and had a temper at times to go with it.  But she was so good to me.  And I loved her so much that there was never any question my first born daughter would be called Nellie.  Grandpa is of Dutch lineage from the 1600's.  He had a twinkle in his eye that was such a great blessing.  But there were many times when he would be the stern grandpa that scared me too!  He could do and fix anything from houses to cars etc. 

Millie and I with our dear friends Dixie and Joe Bowler
So I hope that my grandchildren will remember that their grandparents love them so much.  We miss them and think about them everyday.  We ask Heavenly Father's blessings be with them each and every day.  We hope they will remember that we served as missionaries in 2012-2013 for the Church of Jesus-Christ of Latter-Day Saints in Chile.  Our most sincere heartfelt desire that they would want to serve and preach the restored gospel of Jesus Christ one day as well.  And would want to marry in a temple that can seal them for time and all eternity.  Looking forward to a great 2013!

1 comment:

  1. Boy it has been awhile since I have read your blog. I need to check in more often and I will. Van I take it you don't take after your Grandpa Vanderbeek as far as fixing things!!!! Being a Grandparents is fun and I am sure you guys are going to love it when you get to hold them and hug them when you get home. In the mean time enjoy your mission for us also.

    ReplyDelete